So I tried out a few other writing programs (Liquid Story Binder and Page Four to be exact). I did not use them for long. Just played around with them a bit. But I decided that I already knew I would go with either yWriter or Scrivener.
As you can tell by the title of this blog post - I have decided to go with yWriter. And here is why:
1. I like the layout and the user interface
2. I like being able to have multiple documents open at the same time
3. I like that it will read my work to me - right there
4. I like that I can highlight character names in a chapter
5. I like that I can see instantly the word count for each chapter as well as the over all document (without any extra clicks)
6. I like that it is free. (Of course I plan to donate to the project with the some of the money I make from my first book).
The things I didn't like (or liked better in Scrivener):
1. No spell check suggestions
2. Formatting (aka "Compile") options
I think I can live without. So on to writing using yWriter! You should check it out.
What program(s) do you use when you write?