Monday, June 18, 2012

Wisdom from a Writer's Conference: Problem

The next class I attending at the LDStoryMakers conferences was:

Problem: The Core of the Story by John Brown


What I learned:


My thoughts: There are like a hundred different ways to structure a story. John Brown's way is just one. I think we all need to find our own system that works and stick too it.

From the class: If there is no problem. There is no story. Problems generate scenes. The structure of a story follows the problem solving structure. Problem -> Reaction -> Action -> Trouble -> Problem. This cycle starts with the inciting incident and ends with the resolution.

How I Plan to Apply it:


I found John Brown's problem based story structure interesting. And I took a way a few nuggets of wisdom to integrate in my writing style. I do plan to make problem more prominent in my stories. I already know that my characters usually don't encounter enough obstacles. But I find that there are other story structures that are more natural for me to use then this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment