Friday, June 8, 2012

Write. Be. June 2012

Are you ready for the very first of my experiments. May I introduce....

Write. Be.

Checkout the blog and/or the page above for more information.

Basically I am starting a group designed to inspire confidence in writers and here is my very first post for the group:

Why Confidence?


Have you ever met a confident person? How it seems that nothing can daunt them? Their confidence lends them strength in the face of adversity - but that does not mean that they are unafraid or even truly sure of them selves. It means that they know themselves and want to push themselves to the next level.

I have confidence in who I am as a writer. Even though over the past year I have learned a lot about my writing self - I still feel comfortable in my skin. Each new revelation requires and adjustment period, but because I am confident in who I am as a writer I can keep moving forward.

Revelations


Slowly after the past year I have realized something. I write because it is part of who I am. I write because it is like breathing or praying to me, essential, natural. I would love to publish a book and maybe even have someone buy a copy. But I don't want to be a famous millionaire writer. And in case there is anyone out there who thinks that I am just saying that to lower my expectations let me put it this way:

I won't be a famous millionaire writer because it is not what I want. So I will never push for it or work towards it.

So the new focus for my writing? Enjoy it. Submit or self publish as I feel like it. And let what is to be, be.

Realizing this has set me free from a lot of worry and stress. The strain to live up to - to accomplish - some goal that is not even important to me.

I write. I am. That is enough for me.

What revelations have set you free?

4 comments:

  1. As always I enjoy your straightforward honesty. And, I should add the simple truth that honesty evokes. So, I began to think about my own revelations... why and how they (work to) set me free.

    And I realized what sets me free is the desire to be free. Life is full of obstacles--distractions really--that require my energy. Little things. Big things. Medium things. Things.

    I enjoy them but I also enjoy my writing. I enjoy the process of it, the craft of the writing, the storytelling, the dangers, the thrills, the loves, the loss... That sets me free. I am free to explore them, to cheer for them, to cry for them...

    Just as I do, every day, as I move toward freedom.

    I have realized that freedom isn't a right. It's a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about distractions. Lately the rest of my life has seemed to get it the way of my writing, The truth is if I really want to I can make time for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post! I love your last lines - sums it up nicely.

    ReplyDelete