Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Prompt Tuesday #31

Every Tuesday I post a writing prompt and my response. It gives me a chance to exercise my writing muscles outside of my WIP, and hopefully inspire you to write. So enjoy my flash fiction piece and post your own in the comments!

Prompt

Source: The Writer's Idea Book: Second prompt on page 103.

Write a monologue in which a character vents her rage.... Instead of one long howl, soften the voice, or add a touch of humor. Perhaps the entire monologue can be delivered quietly, the rage burbling just below the surface.

Response

Correct me if I am wrong, but a girl should be able to expect the contents of her diary to remain private. I mean - isn't that the purpose of a diary? A place to put all of your most private and deepest thoughts? Of course you write things in your diary that you don't want anyone else to read. Even if somehow, someone - maybe a slimy dishonest brat - actually read the diary you would think she would realize that. Realize that a diary is a place for sharing your inner feelings that no one else should know.

It's not like I always feel the way I do when I am venting in my diary. Just because I say someone is a jerk or stupid or something like that, doesn't mean that is what I really think. Right? It's just a heat of the moment thing. You know, to release the pent up energy. That is why a diary should remain private.

I would never sneak into a "friends" locker and get her diary. I would certainly never read her diary and then spread all the information I learned there around the school. And I would certainly not hate a slimy dishonest brat just because she wrote something mean about me in her diary. I would understand.

However, I have no problem retaliating.

No comments:

Post a Comment