Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Three Words #31

One of my favorite writing games is something I call three words. I post three words and encourage you to write a flash fiction piece containing those three words. If you would like to challenge me – post three words for me and next week I will post a piece of flash fiction using your words. Enjoy!

Three Words

  • Wick
  • Stripe
  • Blast

Flash Fiction

Using the three words: Frog, Table, and Swing (from Jessica Johnson on last weeks post.)

Sunlight bathes the world in a soft warm glow. The grass is lush and green. A young girl in a blue dress laughs as she floats through the air on the swing. Near a pond a small boy knells over a bit of mud examining a frog. A woman with blond hair sits on the porch watching them. Sitting on the table next to her is a picture of lemon-aid and four glasses.

"Who is the fourth glass for?" I wondered out loud.

"What?" Josh asked.

"The fourth glass in the painting. Who is for?"

Josh scrutinized the painting, then shrugged. "Maybe her husband is on his way home from work."

I shook my head. "No, that is not romantic enough." Josh rolled his eyes at this. "Maybe," I continued, "her husband died in the war and she is all alone. Maybe the glass is to remember him by."

No comments:

Post a Comment