Monday, February 27, 2012

Why I write Speculative Fiction (and can't Write anything else)

I love science fiction and fantasy. Always have. I could go it detail about what it is that captivates my imagination - but that is not what this post is about.

Although science fiction and fantasy are my favorite genre's - I also enjoy many, many other genre's. Mystery, Historical Fiction, and so many more.

So why do I only write science fiction and fantasy? Because it is what I can actually finish.

I have many ideas that fall outside the realm of science fiction and fantasy. And at first they seem just as captivating as any of my speculative ideas. However, when it comes to actually sitting down and writing them. I can't.

They don't hold my attention long enough.

Again, I could give you a long winded explanation of why I think this is. But it is not important. As writers each of us has certain things that can hold our attention long enough to become a full story. And for me, it is science fiction and fantasy.

What genre do you write, and why?

2 comments:

  1. I write primarily crime fiction now. I used to write fantasy but I realized that all of my stuff was structured like crime fiction or mysteries anyway and decided to make the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't know which genre is 'mine' :-)

    ReplyDelete