Saturday, October 8, 2011

What Turns Me Off

In Monday's Post, I mentioned a discussion for another day. Well today is another day. Today I would like to touch on what turns me off of a writer.

There are two very sever examples of me being turned off from an author.

First, Isaac Asimov. Fantasy is my favorite genre to write. But when it comes to reading (and watching for that matter) - I love science fiction just as much. When I was younger I was reading everything I could get my hands on. But unfortunately not all Science Fiction (and Fantasy) novels are clean. So I searched high and low for a clean author. I found Isaac Asimov. His stories were captivating, well written, and sparked my imagination. Until I got three chapters into one of his books and had to put it aside. A blush burning my 12 year old cheeks. I won't go into details but it was not good. It took me years to pick up an Asimov book again - and I am still a little leery of reading his works.

Second, Robing McKinley. Sadly she is the author of two of my favorite books (The Blue Sword and Beauty). But I have not been reading any of her recent work. Why? Because of that vampire book she wrote a few years ago. My roommate and I were reading it aloud to each other. And well we had to stop. Ick. I still read books by her - but I am not going to rush out and buy a book just because she wrote it.

So here is a quick list of things that turn me off:

  • Explicit Scenes: To give you a reference - the forth book in the Twilight series. Too explicit. Don't call me sheltered, or a prude, or a goody-goody. I just don't like reading that kind of stuff.
  • Too Much Mushy: I don't mean romance or love story. I mean kissy-kissy stuff. I hate to pick on Twilight
  • - but the first book was too mushy for me.
  • Pulling Something Out of a Hate in the Eleventh Hour: Here is another discussion for us to have! But I will save it. To give you an idea of what I mean - remember the end of Harry Potter? The whole wand thing? I was like....'What the? Where did that come from.' - I totally felt cheated.
  • Treating Me Like a Puppet: This is not a book example, but that is okay. Lost. You know that show. I started watching it about a year ago. Loved the first season. Did not make it through the second season. Why? Because every episode was a series of events designed to force the viewer to feel a specific emotion. I am a rational, intelligent human being. Lay the facts and events at my feet and let me decide how to feel about it.

Okay, that felt good. I did not mean to rant though. I just want to let everyone know that you should be careful when doing something that may turn your readers off. Readers are loyal. But not that loyal.

Have you ever been turned of an author?

7 comments:

  1. The explicit scenes always turn me off. And stereotypical situations/relationship/characters. Especially with romance. I love Pride and Prejudice but if you aren't Jane Austen, don't try pulling off a Lizzy/Darcy relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. If you ate going to use a recognizable story line -with spice it up and give it a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not read any explicit scenes in books. Yuk! No romance novels for me. And I agree, the 4th Twilight book was way too much smut! Eww. I also don't like when a book tries to copy another or suddenly, one book is popular and everyone tries to write the same story with a minor twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista, I know. You would think that people would want to be original and not a copy cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And stereotypical situations/relationship/characters. Especially with romance. hate that
    The explicit scenes must be mellow ,like a bit but not overly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on lame plot issues. Book 3 of the Inheritance Series, Brisingr, is another "pull out of a hat" plot fixer. Total cop out! Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roro, I hear you!

    Terron, I agree. I loved Eragon. But Brisingr was a let down.

    ReplyDelete