Saturday, August 27, 2011

Goal Update

First, here are a few links:

Next, here are some updates on my goals:

  • Finished reading both of my books for this month. Have three picked out to read for next month.
  • I am struggling with the query letter for Shadowed Stones, so I am going to move on to writing the outline for now.
  • The world building for TOI is going well. I am almost ready to move on to the characters.

And finally, how I build worlds.

First of all, the map. I usually always have a map. Sometimes the map comes later in the world building. Sometimes it is very detailed sometimes it is just a sketch. The map for Shadowed Stones is very detailed. The map for Three of Ivory is really just a sketch right now.

Related to the map are the countries, governments and cultures. For the countries I usually have a name, and I also like to sketch the flag. I also identify the type of government and a little bit of the social classes. Trade and industry are often details I include. Hmm, what else? Oh, I also like to make a list of common physical attributes, name the language, and naming conventions for naming people and places.

Also, in worlds where there is magic - I setup the system of magic. What it can and cannot do. How to use it. Who can use it. And so on.

Next step: Character Bios.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, voted for your story and submitted a Mighty Pen entry :-)

    I'm building a world just for fun. I hadn't thought of flags, but now you've given me that idea I'm thinking flags, pennants, coats of arms, all sorts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I never thought of coats of arms. That would actually be really cool in the story I am currently working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not very good at world building, but I'm going to ask you if I ever need help- LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. World building is very important and I love maps. Anyway, I voted for your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Summer Ross I would be glad to help.

    @Cindy Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete