Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Mighty Pen #6

The Mighty Pen writing contest is held every Thursday. I post the beginning of a story, you post your ending in the comments. I judge all the entries on style, voice, imagery, humor, and pretty much anything else I think is important. Entries are open until Sunday night. On the following Monday I present the winner with The Mighty Pen award and feature them on my blog.

I am also happy to announce that my blog friend CherylAnne Ham is going to start hosting a similar contest on Thursdays as well. So be sure to hop over the her blog and keep an eye out for it.

See The Mighty Pen tab above for previous winners.

The Beginning

Outside the rain fell like gray sheets over the world. Trees bent, kneeling to the force of the wind. In the distance, a brilliant blue flash of light broke the sky. Moments later the answering rumble of thunder rolled through the air.

I watched the storm through the glass window. My gratitude for the shield provided by my small home increased with the intensity of the storm. Another flash of lighting and the room plunged into darkness. This time the thunder shook the house.

Behind me I heard the eerie sound of a door creaking open. My blood ran cold. Slowly I turned...

11 comments:

  1. "...please be the cat, please be the cat," I prayed under my breath.

    It wasn't the cat.

    The storm hadn't knocked out the electricity, he had. I didn't know how he was managing to move without it, but he was getting closer and there was nowhere to run. The experiment had worked, but at what cost?

    He paused, arms outstretched. I held my breath.

    "Cup of tea, darling?" My dead husband asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and screamed, dropping the book that I had been reading to the floor and jumping behind the couch. Thunder rumbled again as the dark figure remained in the doorway. I heard a strange scratching sound and peaked over the top of the couch. Soft laughter filled the room and it chilled my bones. He was laughing at me. The scratching continued until I heard a match light and an eerie glow filled the room.

    "Are you done?" my husband asked.

    "Oh, Erik, it's just you. I thought it was the man with the traveling shovel of death," I gasped.

    Erik frowned as I got up from behind the couch, blushing.

    "You really need to stop reading mystery books during storms."

    "That's the bed time to read them," I protested.

    Erik put his arm around me and guided me by candlelight in the kitchen and pulled out a chocolate chip cookie from the jar. He handed it to me and sat down on the high stool. Maybe he was right, I thought as I took a bit of the sweet delight. Just maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slowly I turned to see no shadowy figure. Yet my cat kept on looking around and meowing. I remember learning that cats see not only better, but another dimension. 

    It got me thinking when a flash of light lit the doorway and I heard a voice. I still couldn't really see, but what I saw amazed me. It was wings of an angel...

    More at my blog: fida-islaih.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are really great entries! Good job everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great entries everyone. Krista, you're going to have a tough time picking a winner! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. I do not envy myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet It’s that brute of a cat again I thought. Yes, it’s definitely him; he only comes out when it’s dark, the little sneak.
    I watched him closely as he skulked across the room and jumped up into the armchair.
    The familiar hostile thoughts sprang into my mind as I observed him; I really don’t know who he thinks he is, sitting there, licking his private parts. He really is the most despicable animal I’ve ever come across.
    I stepped backward gingerly from my position at the window until I was sure I was obscured from his view.
    What could I do? He got Micky last week; no one’s safe when he’s around. My whiskers twitched nervously as I retreated further into my nest. I knew that to survive this night I’d have to be quiet. As quiet as a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I have an award for you on my blog! You should come check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow thanks! *blush* My first award!

    ReplyDelete